With the holidays around the corner, bear in mind the protection to our loved pets in the form of chocolate. Our beloved dogs would investigate the temptation of chocolate and how easy it is to properly secure the candy and goodies. Prevent a travesty of heartache of chocolate poisoning.
Especially due diligence with the out of town company with small children who may not be aware of those consequences. Not only to lose your dog by toxic poisoning, the veterinarian costs of treating such an emergency would trade places with your gift giving this Christmas! The cost!
An interesting note is that baking chocolate has the highest content of theobromine, the culprit, that only takes two ounce squares of it to poison a twenty pound dog. The toxin affects the heart and kidneys along with the nervous system. Signs or symptoms of chocolate poisoning are vomiting, diarrhea, and hypertension, or even seizures.
Prompt medical attention is highly recommended because there is no antidote. Expect the vet to promote vomiting to expel material with the possibility of washing out the stomach. Feeding the dog active charcoal will absorb the theobromine. Fluids may be offered. Immediate attention can very well save the life of the large dog that ate a vast amount of chocolate.
So let us be of good cheer with precaution and have the holiday time be of a memorable, happy celebration!